Has this ever happened to you? You are excited about leaving for a weekend getaway with your family and you have a toothache on a Friday evening…Of course it has! What do you do? Most commonly, people head to their nearest pharmacy for some over the counter pain relievers.Unfortunately many at times these medications give temporary relief and some times even can make the situation worse. This is because the intensity, duration, type of pain and relief from it depends on the cause of the toothache. Here are some of the most common causes for toothaches:
- Tooth Abscess
- Cracked tooth
- Impacted Wisdom teeth
- Receding Gums
Here are some home remedies for you to use, to ease of the toothache till you can get into our office to see Dr. Chitre:
- Rinsing with warm salt water. Make sure the water is warm, since cold water can further aggravate the pain.
- Use a cold compress on the outside of your face if it is swollen.
- Do not apply Aspirin directly to the tooth or the gums around it as it make cause irritation
- If you have already bought OTC pain medication make sure you are taking it as suggested on the label.
- If you a running a fever, call our office immediately because you most likely would need some additional antibiotics to keep the infection under control till a definitive treatment plan can be established and tooth can be treated.
- If you a having difficulty swallowing or breathing call 911.
If you have a persistent toothache, please feel free to call us at anytime, day or night. Dr. Chitre and her team at Stonebriar Family Dentistry is here to help you return to a happy, pain free life and get you on your way to that fantastic weekend getaway with your family!