April is National Oral Cancer Awareness Month. According to Mouth Happy (the ADA’s consumer website), 42,000 Americans will be diagnosed with oral and throat cancers this year. Nearly 8,000 deaths are attributed to oral cancer every year. The key is early detection, and the staff of Stonebriar Family Dentistry is here to help. That’s why we’re taking this month to raise public awareness about this serious cause. Dr. Chitre can talk to you about your health history and perform exams and screenings to detect any abnormalities of the mouth. We’re the frontline when it comes to identifying problems at their earliest stage. Many of our patients are not even aware that oral cancer screenings can be performed during your regular visit. This is another reason it is so important to set regular appointments with your Frisco dental office.
How to recognize the symptoms of mouth/throat cancer
- Red or white patches
- Difficulty swallowing, speaking, or chewing
- Difficulty fitting your teeth together when your mouth is closed
- Bleeding sores that do not heal properly
- Rough, thick, or hard lump in the mouth
- Numbness or pain that does not go away
What are the risk factors?
- Smoking and other tobacco products
- Excessive drinkers, especially over 50
- HPV has recently been linked to oroparyngeal cancer (the back of the mouth)
Even if you do not meet these risk factors above, it is still important to get screened. Young, non-smokers are the fastest growing segment of oral cancer patients. If you’d like to schedule a dental appointment with Dr. Chitre, please visit our Frisco Dentist contact page, or use our easy online scheduler by clicking the red button on the left side of our home page.